The Central Tramway Company Scarborough Limited opened the Central Tramway in 1880 and started operating on 1 August 1881. The funicular was operated by steam, the steam house was situated away from the top station. Since drivers had no view of the cars, they used marks on the rope to indicate the car positions.
In 1910 the funicular was converted to electric drive. In 1932 the cars were replaced and the motor placed under the top station. Driving was done from a driving station at the top of the station with full view of the cars.
The track is 71 m (233 ft) long on a 1 in 2 gradient. The track is 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge. The funicular is operated by two cars.
Location: Marine Parade, Saint Nicholas Cliff, Scarborough